Wednesday, March 5, 2008

As my guitar gently weeps...

Hi kids. Hope you're surviving this latest bout of Minnesota weather hell. I just keep telling myself that it's going to be spring soon. Blue skies, warm air, & no more fucking snow!

So after I came home this evening, I started to surf the web. As I was looking around, I found some very sad news. Jeff Healey, front man for the Jeff Healey band of "Angel Eyes" fame, passed away last Sunday from cancer. He was 41. He had basically battled cancer his whole life, since he was 1. He had a rare form of cancer, called Retinoblastoma. This kind of cancer attacks the retinas in the eyes, which is how he lost his sight. I always loved his voice. Granted, Angel Eyes was a bit over-played, but it was such a good song (at least in my opinion). I also remember him from his small role in the Patrick Swayze movie, Road House. His unique guitar-playing style was also fascinating. He was completely self-taught. And he got to play with the likes of George Harrison, B.B. King & Stevie Ray Vaughan. He was set to release a new CD also, titled "Mess of Blues", on April 22nd - his first new release in 8 years. I will definitely have to check that out.

Rest in peace, Guitar Man.

No comments: