Sunday, September 23, 2007

My new profession.... NOT

Hello again friends. Come on in & sit a spell while I relay the events of last evening.

So I get the weekly Onion newsletter, the local version for the Twin Cities, & in it there's a weekly "contest". You can become the "Non-Celebrity Bartender of the Week" at a local bar called "The Moose on Monroe". Now I've seen this every week, & finally I thought "Hey, this might be fun." So I submitted my name. Lo & behold, last week I got an email saying I'd been picked! Here's the blurb from this past week's newsletter:


Last night was the big night. Now, I'm not sure if you've been to The Moose, but well... ok, I won't mince words: It's pretty much a dive. But the staff was nice, & it was actually a good time. I didn't have too many people come, but the 4 of us (Den, Jennifer, Justin & Kory) managed to put a nice dent in our $100 bar tab. It helped that Den & Justin were drinking Fat Tire, which only comes in 22 oz bottles @ $8 each. My in-laws showed up too, which was nice. It was actually kinda fun.

The one thing that I took from this is a much greater appreciation of the folks that work behind the bar, & as servers. Jer, I gotta tell you that I have a completely new respect that you did that so long. And I only had to wait on my people, not ALL of the idiots in the bar! So my hat's off to you, my dear friend. Thank you for putting up with us dumbasses for way too long.

1 comment:

Jerry said...

It is just like any other job in the respect that it has its ups and its downs. The main thing is there is a totally different mind set you have to have when you are behind the bar. You must be aware of everything going on around you at once and be quick to react. If you can't or won't see what is going on your pay suffers. I am happy that you got a chance to experience it but at the same time I am glad that you never had to do it for a living.